The view is of the Lebanon Springs Road looking to the south through the Church Family buildings at Mount Lebanon.
Buildings visible in the view include on the right (west) side of the Road, the old Meetinghouse (1785, moved 1822) with a flat roof. Behind (south) of it is the second Meetinghouse (1824). On the left (east) side of the road are the Church Family Office and Store (1827) behind which is the family's East House (later, Infirmary).
Other items of interest in the photograph include a horse block in front of the Office, a public watering tank on the road just north of the Office, the stone walk leading to the North Family and a view of the back of the famous sign pointing the way to nearby towns.
The sign is at this time, the late 1880s, mounted on a post, whereas by the late 1890s it has been mounted directly on the elm tree (see photo 1950.004003). One the back of the card, in Henry Terry Clough's hand writing is the title, "Street View from the Intersecting Lebanon Springs and New Lebanon Roads" and his ownership stamp in blue ink. The card is identified in Clough's hand as "No. 4."
- Photograph, cabinet
- Photographer: James Irving
- Accession Number: 1950.004013
The photograph was presented to the Shaker Museum|Mount Lebanon by Mrs. Julia Clough in August, 1950.
Julia Clough was the former Julia Matilda (Mintie) Dalton, who joined the Church Family at Mount Lebanon on July 11, 1876. She married Henry Terry Clough, also a Shaker. The photograph once belonged to Henry Clough, an amateur photographer himself, and bears his hand-written monogram on the back of the card.